Thursday 19 May 2011

Breaking the Mould.

I always like to add a bit of information and culture to my blog now and again and as I walk up Penallta almost every day I feel like I should share with you the history and interesting sights there, so today’s topic is about the “Breaking the Mould” sculpture that I tried to eat because I thought it was a huge chocolate egg … much to my disappointment!!

Paul Cooke was a Team Leader for Sustainable development and Living Environment within the Council, but during the development of Parc Penallta he worked for Groundwork Caerphilly as Project Manager. 'Breaking the mould' project came about as part of the millennium programme to regenerate coal tips and areas of spoil.

The artist of this interesting sculpture is Andrew McKeown. There are various different versions of this on 21 sites around the UK.

Paul Cooke says that he doesn’t know how well it works on other sites but it certainly seems to work very on Parc Penallta, because it is about reclaiming land, and it is about new beginnings and the steel seed coming out of the old concrete block seems very, sort of, apt for the site itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment